.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sambhar Mafia - Cooked To Kill!

Monday, August 07, 2006

The Elusive Black Trouser

I never knew that searching for a black trouser could be such an arduous task. A visit to most of the big retailers in Chennai (Shoppers Stop, Lifestyle, Globus etc) reveals that sizes 28 – 30 are quite difficult to find. The reasoning given by the shopkeeper is that a person with waist size of 28 / 30 is likely to pick up more than one such trouser (in different shades), as he knows the value of such a trouser. I initially thought that this was a marketing gimmick to force me to pick up multiple trousers from the available range.

I decided to try my luck at the retail outlet of a prominent homegrown apparel brand (which traces its origins to Chennai but has now been taken over by another domestic apparel brand) on the ground floor of Spencer Plaza and the result was the same. The retail assistant then suggested that I should try my luck at one of outlets of their parent company. Luckily, the parent company had an outlet just opposite Spencer Plaza.

I was in for a pleasant surprise as soon as I entered the parent company's showroom. The retail assistant told me that they were having a special discount of 25% for sizes 28 – 32. Upon further investigation I got to know that the fast moving sizes are 34 – 40 (Indian men are generally fat!). The shop was running a promotion for odd sizes (28, 30, 32, 44), as there is not much demand for these sizes. I then told them that I would have come directly to their shop if they had advertised this offer in any of the prominent newspapers. These guys had not even put up a poster outside their shop. The actual reason is that the discount is not a company approved discount and other fellow retailers (and franchisees) will be up in arms if they come to know that another outlet is selling these merchandise at a discount. So this particular outlet had decided to offer the discounts in a silent manner to clear the stock in these sizes. I don’t have any regrets as I managed to get the black trouser (that too at a discount!). I was all the more surprised with the way this retailer handled this brand as this brand never wanted to be associated with the discount tag.

(The author realizes that such discounts are likely to be one-off and the best way to solve the trouser problem is to put on weight so that he can look for some trousers in the fast moving range).

15 Comments:

  • did u try rex fashions in mylapore. They have everything. You can always get a discount there if you chat with the owner - Giri. I have been buying all my stuff in rex since my college (viveka) days. Also for some exclusive style - you can try " The Derby " . It is in Egmore, Ethiraj salai.

    By Blogger singman, at 3:40 PM  

  • I always knew you as one mean blogger (and I mean it in a complimentary sense), but now I know you are also a lean blogger.

    Size 28 and 30? With this 'revelation', a lot of people are -- well I am! -- going to demand that you write about your diet more often.

    By Blogger Abi, at 4:24 PM  

  • there are now factory outlets for color plus. guess signs of changing times.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

  • aahaa at this rate people are gonna start requesting you to give out tips on how to stay fit and healthy :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:35 PM  

  • You have been tagged SamMafia.....please do honour us with yoru response!

    By Blogger 30in2005, at 5:55 PM  

  • Very true. Forget abt size 28. I'm damn surprised a regular 32 size (which isn't exactly being thin, but relatively so) is so hard to find. I check myself repeatedly and the BMI meters all around the world say that I'm this guy who's near-exactly at the center of the scale - meaning neither thin nor fat.

    Guess our people need to move away from Rice n dosa to Chappathi and Roti. For our sake.

    Govar.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:05 PM  

  • 28....i thought u would need 34 unless you have pulled down in the last 4 months. In which case, good show.

    I guess it is a matter of 3 months before you start increasing your waistine.

    Arvind

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 PM  

  • I thgt 34 is normal, thts wht I wear atleast...thts after 8 1/2 yrs of treadmilling & training... kaps u have made me re-think now?!

    Filtered by sambhar....

    By Blogger Bharath Sattanathan, at 9:53 PM  

  • Oh yaaa...this is definitely more intellectual than Kiruba's blog...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:12 PM  

  • Kaps, off topic, but still waiting for a response from you regarding me linking your name in my post!

    By Blogger Sriram, at 12:55 AM  

  • I can mail you one from burgh.lemme know

    By Blogger Venky Krishnamoorthy, at 11:01 AM  

  • WHHHAAAAT? 28??? i'll go straight to the gym.. feeling upset at my waistline. :(

    By Blogger Chakra, at 12:25 PM  

  • sriram, adangu pa adangu

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:03 PM  

  • @Singman,
    I didn't try Rex Fashions. I wanted to check out the new age malls.

    @Abi,
    There is no secret in my diet and i guess there are more more qualified people to write about dieting and slimming.

    @Anon,
    I wasn't aware of a Color Plus factory outlet. where is it located?

    @WA,
    I spend most of my time in front of the PC and that doesn't qualify as being fit :-)

    @Govar,
    I guess the apparel companies don't treat u well if u are slim.

    @Arvind,
    That was like hitting below the belt.

    @Filtered Sambhar,
    U should atleast be happy that u have many choices.

    @Venky,
    Thanks for the offer. I managed to find one finally.

    @Chakra,
    Better do that or else Anirudh will start chasing u.

    By Blogger Kaps, at 11:34 AM  

  • Good Job! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home