.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sambhar Mafia - Cooked To Kill!

Friday, March 04, 2005

all '.IN' the game

Watchout! Cybersquatters are on the prowl again. This article in The Hindu Business Line shows that some of popular '.in' domains have been bought by people residing outside India.
I am reminded of a popular cybersquatting case which happened a few years ago. A R Mani (an Indian residing in Canada), who ran a business under his own name registered a domain called www.armani.com. International Fashion Designer Armani (who has labels like Emporio Armani and Giorgio Armani under his stable) contended that he should be the rightful owner of the domain. The verdict was in favour of A R Mani and he got to retain the domain. This could be one of the reasons why Armani created a distinct brand called Armani eXchange and brought most of his apparel business under it.
When I visited www.armani.com today, to my surprise I found out that Fashion Designer Armani has bought over the domain. A R Mani might have got a princely sum for selling the domain to the Fashion House.

3 Comments:

  • Hi Kaps

    You missed to register your name..

    see, the webworld already hv www.kaps.org, www.kaps.de, www.kaps.cz, www.kaps.com.tw etc.,

    so, why don't you get a name regstrd for yourself soon? better later than never... Who knows? It may fetch a better price!!!

    rgds

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

  • Ram,

    If somebody is willing to pay a premium then I will go ahead and block my domain. If not, I'm not so keen. Your name is so common that all country domains might have been bought by now.

    Kaps

    By Blogger Kaps, at 5:34 PM  

  • I am Annachi from Saravana Bhavan, Chennai.

    Sambhar had made my hotel famous and would like to register that name. If you dont vacate that name then I would go to the Mafia ( well that made me famous too )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home