.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sambhar Mafia - Cooked To Kill!

Friday, May 27, 2005

The Great Escape



Usually I don’t visit the local tourist attractions as they are quite boring (especially if you have seen it once). My friend’s mom had come from India and I decided to accompany her to the Night Safari.


After we finished the customary Tram ride and the walking trails we went to the “Creatures of the Night Show”. Although I have been to the Night Safari once before, I had not been to this show earlier. Since we went early we managed to get a seat in the third row. The show began with a piece by A R Rahman (Theme music from the film Bombay). Mid-way thru the show a guy stood up and complained that he has lost Maggi. When probed further he said that Maggi is his pet and it measures 10 feet. It was quite evident that all this was staged. Then they started searching for Maggi. They zeroed in on my spot and asked me to get up. Only my friend’s mom can explain the reaction on my face (we didn’t capture this on camera). There was an opening in the floor below and they managed to pull out a 10 foot long python. Can’t believe that I was sitting on top of this for 30 minutes. I’m still recovering from this shock. Please don’t play pranks with weak-hearted people. Otherwise I need to call the Mafia.

Conversations with a Cabbie

On my way back home I picked up a conversation with a Cabbie. The cabbie (a Chinese guy) seemed to know a bit a Tamil and asked me whether I was from Nagapattinam. He went on to say that he has a friend who is from Nagapattinam. He knew a few common phrases in Tamil and tried to use the same during the chat with me. He could say Vanakkam, Sowkiyama, Saapteengala, Enge Poorenge etc. He was eager to learn more Tamil phrases so that he could use the same to speak to his Tamil customers. He asked me the Tamil equivalents of “Take Right”, “Take Left” & “Go Straight”. When I told him the equivalents in Tanglish (Right-le po, Left-le po & Straight-a po) he wanted to know whether we had Tamil words for Right, Left and Straight. I explained to him that although we have Tamil words for Right and Left we seldom use them in daily life. I think this is the case with most other Indian languages. Wonder what he would have thought about our language(s)?

14 Comments:

  • So you were the fortunate guy... this would make your visit to Night Safari unforgetful!!

    I had been there last week and the person sitting on top of the snake was a young lady and her kid...They screamed when they saw it and ran away from the place :)

    Do remember the same act is played in the Zoo also during one of the shows.

    By Blogger PVS, at 6:58 PM  

  • My uncle lives in Singapore and he keeps telling abt night safari and ofcourse Mustafa...:)

    cabbies, they are so cool in NY...I used to take cabs from my office to apartment and I got to see drivers from India,Pakistan,Bangaldesh,Somalia....u know in Kal Ho Na ho they say in the begining, in NY every 4th face is an Indian or a South east asian..how true!

    By Blogger IBH, at 8:21 PM  

  • whoa... top of the snake.. hehe! how cud u even ve a meaningful conversation soon after is beyond me!!

    By Blogger Harish, at 9:36 PM  

  • paaambruuuuuu...ada da photo edukkama poittaangale :)

    dude beware, here in HBO they have a show called taxicab confessions. without ur knowing they might videotape everything and then telecast it on HBO or maybe even a network channel :)

    By Blogger saranyan r, at 12:32 AM  

  • 1) Scary story.! So was this a setup? Did you complain.? .
    Here in the US I once went on a ghost room ride. Light simulations and creatures ( mechanical) trying to catch you. !! My daughter didn't even have the guts to scream inside and she came out and wept for 1 full hour. For me..!!! I closed my eyes as soon as the vehicle took me into the room!! Never opened until I knew it was outside.!! Semma Pidharal!!!

    2) No problems, I work with a lot of chinese folks here. They use a lot of English words as well just like we do.!

    Have a good weekend.! And watchout for Pythons.!

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at 2:37 AM  

  • I loved having high tea with the Orangutan.
    I couldn't stay for the show that night.
    World'e best soo, even better than the san-diego one as far as I am concerned.

    By Blogger tris, at 3:20 AM  

  • enna kaps superstar madhri pa pa pa...nu dialogaaa

    venkitu saar lol....

    By Blogger Me, at 8:29 AM  

  • right, left, straight are tamil words, arent they ! iam of that belief !!

    By Blogger KRTY, at 8:56 AM  

  • Hi Kaps:

    You are on camera at Chennai Central's weekend post (sorry to use a canned comment for all the bloggers for informing about that post since I don't have time to write individually to each). That post itself was many hours in the making :-)

    By Blogger Krish, at 10:47 AM  

  • Ennappa Kaps.....Idhukellam Bayapadaathe....
    inga avan avan(Read: Milind Soman and Madhu Sapre) Paamba suthi velayaadaraan.....dress'e pottukaama!! .....
    ( remember the Ad for Tuff shoes??)

    By Blogger Thayirsaadham, at 11:47 AM  

  • Hi Kaps - weak hearted guy... u have real guts to sit over a python !

    beware...

    By Blogger Krish, at 1:47 PM  

  • thanks for droppin by, tamil langauges...ippo yarum englishillama tamil pasaradhuillai, ada na nattu nelavaram, inga chennaiillai...wonly politicians anda tamililla pesavanga, ippo chennaiilla pesaradhu tamil ill tanglish!!!

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at 3:37 PM  

  • Kaps, pls tell me one thing, is it tt u dont know the tamil equivelent of right-left or u jus dont use them

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 PM  

  • There was a warning saying that if you are scared please avoid the first three rows. Pretending to be bold I stayed put at my place (third row). They would have spoiled the fun if they had said - "if you are scared please avoid the nth seat in the 3rd row". Hence they can't be blamed for this.

    By Blogger Kaps, at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home