.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sambhar Mafia - Cooked To Kill!

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Book tagged

The Book tag (which has been doing the rounds in the Blogosphere) has finally reached me. Thanks to Cogito for tagging me. Wonder whether this has been initiated by some book shop like Landmark, Crossword to boost their sales. Maybe Landmark and Crossword should start giving discounts to all bloggers.

Small note on my reading habits

I am a magazine / newspaper buff and on an average read 6 – 8 newspapers a day (online + offline), 15 – 20 magazines a week and 400 – 500 blogs on a weekly basis. With such a packed schedule I find it difficult to allocate time for some serious reading. I prefer reading Non-fiction, Self-help & Business / Management books. I do read fiction occasionally.

Number of books that I own: 100 – 200 (Most of them are gathering dust at my home in Chennai)

Last few books that I bought

Five Point Someone, What not to do at IIT by Chetan Bhagat

A Piece of Cake by Swati Kaushal (I bought this one after reading Rashmi Bansal's article in BusinessWorld)

Chennai Latte by Ranjitha Ashok and Biswajit Balasubramanian


Last Book that I was gifted

Not many people seem to be gifting books to me. The last gift I received was 5 years ago. My sister gifted me Snapshots from Hell by Peter Robinson when I was about to join B School.


Last few Books that I read

Rules of Work by Richard Templar – A book which outlines what it takes to succeed at the workplace.

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

New Singapore Dream by Moh Hon Meng – A book with lot of Business Ideas for those who want to strike out on their own (in S'pore).

Currently reading

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

Five Books that mean a lot to me

Who Moved my Cheese by Spencer Johnson and Ken Blanchard – What an excellent way to drive home the story of reacting to change. I think this book inspired many authors and lot of the recent books (like Fish Tales) have started following the same presentation style.

The Mind of the Strategist by Kenichi Ohmae – Written by a former McKinsey Japan partner this book outlines the basics of strategic thinking. Probably the first strategy book that I ever read.

Straight from the Gut by Jack Welch – A good insight into the systems, processes and strategies which propelled GE into the mighty corporation that it is today.

Lee Iacocca An Autobiography by Lee Iacocca and William Novak – An inspirational book which chronicles the life and times of Lee Iacocca during his stints at Ford and Chrysler.

Made in Japan by Akio Morita – A nice book to understand how Sony conquered the world of Consumer Electronics. If you want to know more about Sony’s dominance in the walkman wars and the interesting story behind the naming of Sony, then this book is a must read

Books that I plan to read soon

Donald Trump An Autobiography (Somehow I need to figure out how to get rich)
Freakonomics
Blink and Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Winning by Jack Welch


Tamil books

I don’t get much time to read Tamil books. I bought Idhu Rajapattai Alla by Actor Sivakumar (it was an impulse buy) at the Chennai Book Fair in Jan this year. I haven’t started reading it.

The tag passes to the following people

Bibs
Maverick
Sriram
Thuglak (although he is not a blogger he will put it up in the comments section)

Amit Varma of India Uncut is collecting all the book tags in one post. So if you have completed the book tag please pass on the Permalink to him so that he can compile the same.

I am happy that this tag is over. There are 3 more tags pending. The personal tag by Kay, the Movie tag by Munimma and the TFM tag by Ram C. I plan to finish them on a FIFO basis.

21 Comments:

  • >> I am a magazine / newspaper buff and on an average read 6 – 8 newspapers a day (online + offline), 15 – 20 magazines a week and 400 – 500 blogs on a weekly basis.

    - I am able to manage the first one (newspapers) & 1 book a week. But 400-500 blogs a week with so many posts.. annathey.. epdi epdi ungalaala mattum idhu mudiyudhu?

    By Blogger Chakra, at 5:18 PM  

  • The names of the books project a different picture on you, KAPS.. You can become a Chief of a Hi-tech Mafia group with so much techniques to make quick money :-) :-) You can make use of all the tricks which you are learning from these hifi (!!!) books.

    By Blogger Ram C, at 5:19 PM  

  • kaps.. another doubt... officela velai nadanthutu thaanee irukku?

    By Blogger Ram C, at 5:20 PM  

  • Ram,
    Most of this activity happens in the evenings or during the weekends. So work is not affected:-)

    By Blogger Kaps, at 5:23 PM  

  • Chakra,
    It's a top secret.....we can take it up offline.

    By Blogger Kaps, at 5:30 PM  

  • very cool list kaps - I know zilch about this 'tagging' altho' I'd love to get involved (should i say tagged?)... if not too much trouble, could u point me to some place where u or someone else has explained it for dummies? enn ignorance a manichidunge, indha area-le naan konjam pudhusu :)
    *i speak better tamil than i write, honest!*

    By Blogger mitokondrion, at 6:37 PM  

  • this is one of the most interesting tagsive come across, considerin that i am a voracious reader, knowing wat others read in interesting.
    try i moved ur cheese
    and the book bout honda,interesting how a company which used tripuphs engines kicked triumphs ass on home turf(if u havent read it)
    h

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at 8:13 PM  

  • @Mitokondrion,

    Just pick up the Book tag format from here and put up your version of the same on our blog. Once u r done with it rope in few more bloggers and ask them to do it in their blogs as well. It passes like a chain mail.

    @AyeKay,

    No excuses pls. We'll not quiz u on the various books. Take your own time.

    @Srivatsan,

    Will try out the 2 books suggested by you.

    By Blogger Kaps, at 8:30 PM  

  • 400 - 500 Blogs!!!

    Hmm.. Kaun Banega Crorepathi marubadiyum vara poguthaam.. why don u try, huh??

    Mafia Blog Aggregator nu onnu start pannidalaame!!!

    Lee Iococca Book is great. And so in Who moved my Cheese.. and so is a lot other books.. LOL...

    By Blogger Chez, at 9:45 PM  

  • thanks for taggin me dude...was fun to read ures and then post my own!

    cheers

    By Blogger maverick, at 11:56 PM  

  • all cool books and lot of them are my fav........

    By Blogger Suguna, at 4:06 AM  

  • all good ones

    By Blogger Anjali, at 5:02 AM  

  • A lot of the books you'v mentioned is all greek and latin to me. Thanks for updating my brain.

    Made in Japan -IMHO is a great book.

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at 8:43 AM  

  • good collection urs is!

    By Blogger IBH, at 9:25 AM  

  • 500 blogs! My God! Kaps ... eppadi ivalo time kidaikudhu?

    By Blogger GS, at 9:26 AM  

  • Kaps, Made in Japan is a fascinating book.

    Did you know that the publishers of Freakonimics didnot do a book tour. Rather they sent an advance copy to many bloggers.

    I shall post the review on winning this weekend.

    I do not trust Donald Trump, just my personal opinion.

    By Blogger Venky Krishnamoorthy, at 11:05 AM  

  • interesting list..Thanks for doing the honors ..Though I read a lot of business books , they never strike a chord in me to name them as my favorites ...

    By Blogger Cogito, at 11:53 AM  

  • Hey - I have been reading tipping point and blink.. both very very interesting. Enjoy :)..

    I tend to take a lot away from ur blog each time I visit :)..

    Keep it going

    By Blogger Princessse, at 8:25 PM  

  • Here goes book tag.....

    Ponniyin Selvan
    My all time favourite. Don’t think there is a better written work that binds all the characters ( plenty of them ) so wonderfully. You feel as if you are watching a movie and not reading something that happened hundred of years back. After reading this, I took interest and started reading all the sequels to this and visiting the places mentioned in these books whenever I travel around that places. My all time hero – Vandhiythevan.
    This is the first book of Kalki I read and after that have been reading everything that I could lay my hands on. I have read it so many times that I can pickup any volume ( there are 5 volumes ) and start from any page and continue it. I am sure I will read it many more times.

    Grapes of Wrath
    A brilliant book by John Steinbeck, I love it for the way the writer is able to describe and make you feel the picture. East of Eden by John Steinbeck is another great book., not to be missed. I have read quite a few of his books but these two are certainly the best of his.

    Godfather
    Makes a great reading which you can finish in one sitting.

    Day of the Jackal
    Brilliantly written and

    Daily Readings – Hinduonline with a cup of filter coffee
    Weekly Readings – Vigadan / Kumudham & Thuglak
    English magazines – outllook / Business India / Business world
    Blogs – Sambhar mafia / Ram’s Dream store / Venkat’s Thedal / Desikann

    Reading Habits – compulsive reader. Novels to autobiographies to biographies to business to economics. Read in transit to office / during flights / before sleep. Started reading early as there were plenty of books at home. My father is a professor and a voracious reader himself. So had a collection of over 1000s of books at home and that’s the reason for this habit. Prefer buying books and then reading and so our collection at home has been increasing with me / my father and even my wife being voracious readers.
    Have read all the books of Sidney Sheldon / Fredrick Forsyth/ Irving Wallace / Jeffrey Archer / Arthur Hailer / John Grisham

    Thuglak

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 PM  

  • Hey Kaps:

    Where in teh world do you get the time to read so much. I am hard pressed trying to finish a couple of newspapers a day and between 20-40 articles a week.

    wow!

    I tried reading who moved my cheese (finished it). But somehow I didnt get the inspirational effect that I was expecting. somehow I remember all the morals but the massive change in my thinking and behavior I was expecting somehow did not materialize.

    I am also trying to get my hand on freakonomics. Its supposed to be a great book.

    By Blogger nmk, at 2:31 PM  

  • I learnt about the word "somehow" just yesterday so have been overusing it.

    Applologies

    By Blogger nmk, at 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home