.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sambhar Mafia - Cooked To Kill!

Friday, September 16, 2005

Divided We Fall – Americans in the Aftermath

The Sikh community in the US has been the target of many attacks (especially after 9/11). Valarie Kaur is directing a movie called Divided We Fall, which captures the fears and sentiments of people in the aftermath of 9/11. She has managed to speak to Sikhs, Muslims and Arab Americans during the course of filming this movie.

This summer, award-winning director Sharat Raju and a film crew from New Moon Productions traveled with Kaur, now a graduate student at Harvard Divinity School, to re-trace her steps across America, revisiting and re-interviewing the people she first met in 2001. The crew also interviewed leading scholars, lawyers, and policy makers to speak about the broader implications of hate crimes, national security and civil rights in post-9/11 America. The finished film will weave this present-day narrative on film with the rawness of Kaur's original video footage. (via)

World over, there is increasing objection against the exercise of religious freedom by the Sikh Community. Hope films like these will help in putting things in the right perspective.


This film looks like a noble effort. Let’s wish Valarie and her team the very best.

7 Comments:

  • Interesting, themes of a globalised age.

    By Blogger josh, at 11:19 AM  

  • I sure wish her luck. The sikhs are one of the most fun loving persons in the world, so full of life and i have never met a serious and BAD Sardar, seriously. Yet they have been victims quite often, read INDIA. Maybe its the BEARD. Why do they have to wear it anyway. HAHA, its so very difficult to make out between to sikhs..jokes apart, they really nice people and I hope the movie Express them in that light as well

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 PM  

  • Ofcourse, Nice effort, I wish her the very best.

    BTW, did you know that there is a town in Califoria ( 1 hour drive north from where I live...I forgot the name of the town) where Punjabi is a second language in school?!! The town is full of Sardharjis.!

    A few months back while I was driving to Yosemite, I saw a town called DELHI...and I heard its full of Sardars as well.!!!

    Just yesterday when I was sitting for my eye exams, I had a old Sardhar sitting next to me. I didn't understand what he spoke and the same with him.!

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at 4:55 PM  

  • how stoopid are u if you associate Turbaned Sikhs with Arab Muslims?!

    By Blogger Abi, at 8:19 PM  

  • @Josh,
    Thanks for dropping by

    @Tony,
    they have been innocent victims and hope this movie helps in projecting their peace loving attitude

    @Venkitu Sir,
    I have never heard about this. Sounds interesting. Do let us know the name of the place when u recollect the name

    @J'adore,
    I'm not trying to associate them. The director has interviewed various people and Arab Muslims and Sikhs are some of the people who will be featured in the moving. I apologize if my post is misleading in any way.

    By Blogger Kaps, at 8:30 PM  

  • kaps> srry I think I wasnt clear in what i said before.

    when i said "how stoopid are u if you associate Turbaned Sikhs with Arab Muslims?!" I didnt mean YOU. I meant 'you' as in americans who are prejudiced against Sikhs after 9/11.

    By Blogger Abi, at 8:58 PM  

  • J'adore,
    No problem. I hope they realize that there is a world of difference between the 2.

    By Blogger Kaps, at 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home