.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sambhar Mafia - Cooked To Kill!

Friday, March 17, 2006

Gimme a Missed Call when you’re there

A recent study notes that "Missed Call" is slightly unique to India. Apart from serving a purpose, it also helps in saving money. With cheap / free SMS and free incoming calls, I guess the utility of a missed call is much lower what it was earlier.

The Indian mobile user seems to have mastered the art of missed calls - and actually to communicate without answering the calls! While cellphone operators are reluctant to give the exact share of missed calls, according to industry estimates, it is somewhere around 20-25%.

Writes Nick Gray in a Moblog (mobile blog) — in India ‘missed calls’ were very popular, as a way to say, “I’m thinking about you” or “call me back.” I would often hear someone say, “I’ll send you a missed call when we get there - see you soon.”

5 Comments:

  • Reminds me of my sis , who is famous for the missed calls that she gives.

    By Blogger Cogito, at 7:16 PM  

  • I used to save lot of money by giving missed call..From airtel the STD charges are high for landline..If I give missed call to my home after 9:30 PM they will call me back..in saving 2/3 of money every time...

    By Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன், at 8:56 PM  

  • :)
    long b4 the cellfone era,we'd already mastered the art.
    My frends used to kindal adchify saying that,from Tanjore,
    if I gave 1 missed call to home landline..it meant I am okay..
    2 missed calls meant.. am coming home this weekend
    3 missed call meant..Send me money :)
    n so on...

    By Blogger rajesh, at 2:11 PM  

  • I thought of a way to monetize all those missed calls!

    By Blogger Jagadish, at 1:22 PM  

  • But the concept was long there in America.
    If you listen to the song "part time lover" then you can hear this

    "Call up, ring once, hang up the phone to let me know you made it home. Don't want nothing to be wrong with my part time lover." Stevie Wonder, Part-Time Lover

    Nagendra Pratap Singh

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home