.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sambhar Mafia - Cooked To Kill!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

MKV Remembered

A good family friend & also a neighbour for over 3 generations passed away last Friday. Those who have studied Engineering in TN would have definitely come across Maths textbooks authored by M K Venkatraman (MKV). My grandfather and MKV were colleagues and neighbours in Karaikkudi. Although I didn’t study BE, I have heard a lot about his academic work and have interacted quite extensively with him. My dad and uncle happened to be his students and often narrate about his distinct style in handling the subject. During his classes, he would often use the term MKV to mean Mukkhiyam Kattaayam Varum (Important, Will Definitely Come) so that the students give special attention to that particular topic from an exam point of view. He was a fatherly figure to my family and will definitely be missed.

Here’s what Ramadoss Magesh had to say about MKV:

Most of the books of this author that I have read are literal adaptation of some of the world-renowned books on the same topic. It usually includes solutions to the problem set that are left as exercises in those books. Inspite of the above-mentioned fact, I consider that a lot of student community (including myself) has benefited from such efforts. Such efforts are all the more relevant in situations where the original books were not accesible to students for a variety of reasons (higher cost, less exposure or just the fact the original ones are extremely difficult to understand).

5 Comments:

  • Hi Kaps

    Yes, I remember the books a lot!

    Nice to know that, there were students who cherished his presence.

    Regards,
    Srijith

    By Blogger srijithunni, at 1:06 PM  

  • Kaps,
    I had used lot of his books to get my degree..

    Thanks to remembering him..I really forgot him..so sad

    By Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன், at 9:59 PM  

  • Hi Kaps,

    Thanks for visiting/commenting in my blog. Was interesting to read the accounts from direct students of his..particularly the abbr for MKV part..

    Best regards,
    Magesh

    By Blogger Jillu, at 12:44 PM  

  • @Srijith, Karthikeyan & Magesh,
    Thanks for your comments.

    By Blogger Kaps, at 4:57 PM  

  • Most of the engg schools in TN used MKV books as their prescribed text. He is a doyen indeed. Great loss.

    By Blogger Venky Krishnamoorthy, at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home