.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sambhar Mafia - Cooked To Kill!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

NDTV and RSS Feeds don’t go together

Antrix Deepak wrote to me yesterday to say that he is unsubscribing from NDTV’s RSS feeds. The problem is that NDTV’s links are dynamic and by the time the feed is delivered into your feedreader, the link doesn’t work anymore. NDTV is not giving a permanent link to each of its news items. This problem is not just restricted to NDTV. I am facing similar problems with Exchange4Media as well. It is high time these guys attend a crash course on RSS feeds.

Sometime ago, I had also alerted about the security threat which a NDTV RSS feed subscription poses. They had tried to embed your email ID and password into the RSS feed subscription. Looks like they realized their mistake and changed the feeds to more generic ones.

5 Comments:

  • the same thing also happens with IBN live, if u subscribe to the feeds based on various headings like politics world etc, the links in tht feed disappears but the links under the headlines feed alone works. this is for the same news story

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at 3:48 PM  

  • That is why my world-wide news feeds come from the BBC (where these sorts of problems do not arise) and displays on my own blog for others to read too (and you know that I have had this ever since my blog began :-)).

    By Blogger Krish, at 12:24 AM  

  • As I found out during the development of Just Samachar, this is a problem with many Indian news sources. When the links are consistently incorrect, I've had to fix it at my end, but even that can't be done in the case of NDTV. I've written to many of them with suggestions, but haven't received even an acknowledgement.
    Also, I've not had any issues with the IBN feeds. They seem to be the best Indian news site currently in my opinion.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 AM  

  • @Vatsan,
    I am also facing similar issues with some posts of IBN.

    @Thennavan,
    I am aware of the BBC News on your blog.....but I'm looking for micro news from India :-)

    @Thejo,
    I think NDTV might have just ignored this issue. Hope they do something about it.

    By Blogger Kaps, at 10:54 AM  

  • @thennavan: BBC (not just News) is the role model in technology adoption for media companies worldwide.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home