.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sambhar Mafia - Cooked To Kill!

Friday, September 08, 2006

My Title Has Been Stolen

A call from my parents brought to light the recent mention of my blog's title in a neighbourhood newspaper in Chennai. My initial reaction was a sense of excitement. I prodded my folks to read out the entire article as I assumed that the blog name / title would have been mentioned in the context of blogs / Chennai or atleast the thiruttu VCD related article that I had written recently.

My joy was shortlived after I realized that the article was in no way connected to any of the topics mentioned above. Apollo Times is a neighbourhood newspaper in Chennai and their T.Nagar edition (dated 3rd September) carried an elaborate piece (that too on the front page) on the rise of Indra Nooyi in the global corporate world. I somehow feel that the neighbourhood newspaper is misleading the public by going for an unrelated caption that doesn't make justice to the article.

If you are a blogger who has a unusual / wacky / funny blog title, better watch out as the MSM folks might use it in some form as they seem to be running out of choices.

10 Comments:

  • why dont you sue those guys?

    By Blogger rajesh, at 4:10 AM  

  • Oh poor ! Sue them :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 AM  

  • Is that even allowed? Its plagiarism!

    By Blogger P, at 7:37 AM  

  • hard luck !

    By Blogger Cogito, at 10:24 AM  

  • Sue them Kaps, show them!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

  • People in glass houses should not be throwing stones at others! The name Samb(h)ar Mafia has been “borrowed” by Kaps from a club in IIM Bangalore that well predates his stint there. I guess Kaps must have been associated with the club in some way during his stint there. So guys go easy on the “sue them” or “plagiarism” part. This is not a blanket judgment on his creativity since some of his postings and headers have been outstanding. But “Sambar Mafia” is definitely not one of them for those in the know. I think it is high time Kaps acknowledges this with a byline to set the record straight. At least his classmates in IIMB should know better. A more apt header to the post will be “A Title Twice Stolen”!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:21 PM  

  • @Anon,
    Thanks for putting things in perspective. I have never claimed that my title is original. If blogger had provided me an about page (like some of the wordpress / typepad blogs), I could have given some history about the topic. I admit that an explanation is long overdue.

    BTW, do I know you?

    By Blogger Kaps, at 1:31 PM  

  • SelAm has been ripped apart, plagiarised, headlined, borrowed and what not, so many times, I don't bother any more

    By Blogger Ravages/CC, at 8:07 PM  

  • It is indeed bad... but think of the positive side, ur blog is getting more and more coverage. Good in a way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:19 PM  

  • When contacted, Apollo times said it was a fascinating title and hence it was used. If Kaps feel it is wrong I would ask them to tneder an apology

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home